Posted by: theweesak | June 17, 2009

Labour Story

Ok, this may be a long one. I might have to break it up a little. I guess I should start off by clairifying a few things for “blog world”. Yes, everything was great in a happy, healthy pregnancy. And we did have our baby.

Stella June was brought into this world on Friday, June 12th, 2009 at 1:04am. Smack on her due date.

Ok, back track…

This is the whole labour story…nothing left out. If you are a little queasy, or don’t want to hear about bodily functions, this may not be the blog entry for you. Consider that the disclaimer!

After about a week or so of cramping, my first contractions started during the early morning of Wednesday, June 10th, 2009. On a scale of 1 – 10 (1 – no pain, 10 – worst contraction I felt), the contractions were a 3/4. At about 4:30am, I also started having “other indicators” that I was in the early stages of labour. Bee didn’t go into work in the morning because he was up with me quite a few times during thte night. We slept until about 10:00am. By that time, the contractions had subsided and became less frequent. Knowing that we would be having a baby very soon, we went out for lunch at the buffet at Toi Shan (yummy!). Bee went into the office in the afternoon because there wasn’t any action or progression in my labour. I ran some last minute errands in the afternoon (Walmart, etc — taking full advantage of the family/maternity parking spots!) and then picked Bee up from work. That evening, we took it easy — doing some errands around the house, then turning in early. My first strong contraction woke me from my sleep at 12:30am on Thursday morning (5/6 on the scale). The rest of the night, I was awake and asleep with contractions. At about 9:00am, I started timing contractions. I had an appointment with Dr. Allan at 12:45pm and decided I would dtick it out until then.

By the time I arrived at my appointment, my contractions ranged form 3 – 12 minutes apart. Dr. Allan made an attempt (*cringe*) to check the dilation of my cervix, but couldn’t because baby was sitting so low in my pelvic region. He sent me to the Rockyview to have them check me and see how far along I was. I was admitted to the hospital at 1:15pm. The doctor came to check my dilation (again…*cringe*) and with some uncomfortable prodding, discovered I was 2 cm dilated and +1 station. I could stay! (I had nightmares of having to go back and forth from the hospital-home because I “wasn’t ready” — yeah, they do that ya know). We were told to go walk about the hospital for an hour or so, just to get things moving along. After some slow and painful walking, we went back up to the ward and waited in the waiting room for about 20 minutes — with 2 other couples and women who clearly were not in labour. I tried to put on a brave face for them!

We were put into another room to be checked again. At this point the pain, combined with raging hormones (you gotta check these out!) and a feeling of being overwhelmed brought me to tears. The poor nurse thought it was her fault because she hurt me while she was checking me again and she felt really bad. I tried explaining it wasn’t her fault (the poor woman — the look on her face!)

From there, I was admitted to labour and delivery. I was in a room nothing like I imagined (Looking back, I don’t really know what I was thinking the room would be like). There were rocking chairs, a couch, a shower, fit balls…all kinds of things to assist in the “birthing process”. I also wasn’t aware that I had my very own nurse for the whole labour. It does make perfect sense, I just didn’t know. I expected random nurses to come in and out and check out the paper coming out of the monitors that I was hooked up to. It is worth mentioning that the nurses that I had were absolutely fabulous. I wouldn’t have traded them for anyone else.

PAUSE! — Someone requires the use of my chest…I’ll continue later!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: